Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Chicago -- Vivian Maier's Vision

When I think about the Chicago I knew as a kid in the 1950s and 1960s, I see images in my memory that remind me so much of the photographs of the great street photographer Vivian Maier.

She moved to Chicago in 1955 and lived there to her death in 2009.  During that time she took thousands of photographs, photographs that nobody saw until after her death.

When I first saw them, I felt a bond with her.  She saw the streets I saw as a kid.  While writing Suitcase Charlie, I often turned to the sites on the internet that housed her photographs.  They were an inspiration.

Here's a small gathering of her photos.

















































































































______________________

If you want to see more of her photographs, one of the best sources is the Maloof collection of her work.  It's online and free.  Just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment